Friday, February 27, 2009

The Mansion Or The Marriage

About 6 months ago, a group of my friends were talking with me. A few of them were not church "goers", but had some questions and the rest of us were attempting to answer them. One of the things I noticed, was that some of those who did attend church said that as Believers our goal is to get to heaven. I disagreed. I said I believed our goal is to be in a relationship with God. One person cut me off and said, "Same thing..." and then continued to talk.

I let them continue. But the next day, when the same group was together I was able to express how I felt, thanks to a good friend of mine who helped me put my feelings into words.

My friend said, "Why did you get married? Was it because you loved that person or you wanted their house?"

It was a simple statement that has stuck with me and helped me to put clarity to a very important principle.

As Believers, do we accept Jesus into our hearts so we could go to heaven? I think many of us do. But if that is the goal, what do we do with the rest of our lives?

I believe that the goal is to be in a relationship with Jesus. Heaven....the mansion....is a benefit of the relationship. The mansion should not be the goal.

If it is, then we could ask Jesus into our hearts and then live any way we want because we'll get to heaven. And haven't we seen people who live this way?

But this goes against Jesus' words. His words "...take up your cross and follow me...." What He's saying here is to live like He lived. Love like He loved. A life of grace, mercy, compassion, forgiveness, kindness.....you could read all about it in the Bible.

Another way that Jesus lived is by being relevant to the culture and times He lived in.

Are we? Or are we trying to be relevant to the culture and times that Jesus lived in...which in many ways is irrelevant to this age and culture.

One Sunday morning in church a discussion arose concerning this very thing. A friend of mine felt that we could be like Jesus by being different than the world, because Jesus was different than the world.

But what does this truly mean? Does this mean we don't smoke, don't drink, don't associate with sinners?

Umm. Actually that is the opposite of being like Jesus. Jesus actually DID eat and drink with sinners. If you read the Bible, you will see in the book of Matthew, chapter nine, the Pharisees (the religious leaders of the day) were upset with Jesus because He ate with sinners and tax collectors.

When I read the scriptures, it appears to me that the way that Jesus was different in the world was because of the grace and love and compassion and kindness (etc.) that he showed to sinners. The time he spent with them, living with them, talking with them. He was their friend.

There was a time in my own life that I felt that this was the way God wanted me to live: not associating with sinners. I thought I should be totally consumed by church and church like things. My vocabulary was very religious. I did everything the church told me to do without really taking into account how it effected those around me who did not attend church. But now I see what a bunch of bunk that was. It's actually the opposite of how Jesus lived His life. He didn't do what the religious leaders of the day told Him to. He did what He felt His Father told Him in spite of what the religious leaders thought. This is why He and the Pharisees were always butting heads. They lived the rules and He live the Life His Father wanted Him to.

The scripture that I believe best depicts this is in Matthew 7:

"17Likewise every good tree bears good fruit, but a bad tree bears bad fruit. 18A good tree cannot bear bad fruit, and a bad tree cannot bear good fruit. 19Every tree that does not bear good fruit is cut down and thrown into the fire. 20Thus, by their fruit you will recognize them.
21"Not everyone who says to me, 'Lord, Lord,' will enter the kingdom of heaven, but only he who does the will of my Father who is in heaven. 22Many will say to me on that day, 'Lord, Lord, did we not prophesy in your name, and in your name drive out demons and perform many miracles?' 23Then I will tell them plainly, 'I never knew you. Away from me, you evildoers!'

It's not about the mansion, it's about the relationship...the marriage. Being who He wants us to be...not what the church may want or say is the way.

I'm NOT anti-church. I DO attend a church. I am encouraged to be out in the world being a light to those around me. I believe to do this I must be relevant to my culture. I believe that this is what Jesus meant when He said to "follow Me".

It's not about how we look....it's about who we are. We are His Bride. Are we in love with our Lover or His House...Mansion...Heaven.

I think if we are in love with Him...we will shine His light. I'm not sure if that is truly possible if our only goal is to get to His house (heaven).

So...what do you think?

4 comments:

Jack Petersen said...

You drop these little bombs and then wait. There are no good SHORT answers to your questions. However - I am absolutely sure that your viewpoint is absolutely right. The relationship is everything!

As for not associating with sinners ... I hate to be the one to tell you, but EVERYONE in your church is a sinner - big time! If they weren't, why do they need to go to church?

You are a constant joy.

Jack

Birdie said...

AMEN, Brother Bunny.....exactly. I did fail to mention about all of us are sinners....but it was in my head the whole time. Probably God tapping ME on the shoulder with the reminder.

Sandra said...

This is wonderfully put! It IS all about RELATIONSHIP with God. Christ came in order to bring us back into right relationship with the Father.

Birdie said...

Pastor Dave Knickerbocker of the Gate wrote:
The fact that our heavenly mansion is guaranteed is the motivation to live with reckless abandon for Jesus Christ now. Christianity is in fact the only religion that doesn't involve the need to earn our way to heaven. Earning a heavenly reward is not even possible. Christians who live to be worthy of God's grace are in a worthless endeavor. We can be no more worthy of His grace in our lives after 20 years of living for Him than we were on day one. If we try to gain our own way to heaven then we are saying that Jesus' sacrifice didn't cut it with regard to our salvation. You're absolutely correct. Christianity is all about living in the freedom that only an ever-growing relationship with Jesus Christ can give.



Peace,

Dave

Thanks, (Young) Pastor Dave. I appreciate your input!