Sunday, March 23, 2008

He Is Risen Indeed!

I'm going to take a break here from my "gutter" writing and just wish everyone a very blessed Easter. It is Easter! This has always been my favorite holiday. At least since I've been "saved". I love getting up early on Easter and just thinking about Mary Magdalene going to the tomb. I pictured her dark, sad shape bobbing in and out of the early morning fog; her head down, clutching her small package of anointing oils. Her heavy heart as she approaches the burial place of the one person who made the biggest difference in her life. This person who showed her the true meaning of life.
Do you have someone in your life right now like that? Someone who is your best friend? Knows you in and out and keeps all of your secrets. The person you're not afraid to say anything to and you know they will still love you, still respect you.
I imagine that this is who Jesus was to her. I'm sure He's that person to many of us, but just imagine being there with Him. Listening to Him. He cared about her like no one ever did. She was nothing until she met Him. She was dirt. And He touched her and changed her....
....and now He was dead.
How devastating this had to be. Confusing....Frustrating!
About twenty plus years ago I wrote a song about Mary going to the tomb called Sunday Mourning. Here are the words. Just imagine Mary walking to the tomb and how that day went from being the darkest morning to the most spectacular day ever!

Sunday Mourning

It's Sunday morning and it's still dark.
The skies are raining even like the crying in my heart.
And though my friends surround me....I'm so lonely.
And though the stones cut through my feet...
I don't feel a thing since You've gone away.

Oh Lord, why did You die...I can't see the reason why?
All you did was make the lame to walk, the blind to see,
The dumb to talk, the deaf to hear your words of love,
You had for this world.

And now the darkness turns to dawn. And the sky - black to gray.
I think of happier times when you were alive,
even though the tomb is just short way.
You came and you touched my heart. You took the hardness away.
You freed me from the captivity of hell.
Changed the darkness of night into the light of day!

Oh Lord, why did you have to die....I can't see the reason why?
All You did was set the captives free,
Changed the water into wine at a wedding feast
Fed the people with a few fish and bread
You even raised the dead.

And now I see the tomb calling me.
I've got my oils for anointing.
Just to touch you one last time...but something's wrong!
The stone's been rolled away and I feel so afraid!

OH NO! Where did the body go?! All that's left are the grave clothes!
And the light's so bright that I can't see!
Who's talking to me saying "He's alive, He's risen from the dead,
Come see the place where He did lay."

I must go! This can't be so!
I must try to find His body so I can see Him one last time...
There's the gardener...I'll ask him.
"Tell me, sir, do you know where they took my Lord."

(Music changes from minor key to light guitar and flute)

It is You. Rabbi, is it true? You're alive? Can I touch you?
Yes, I'll go! I'll tell the others it's so!
That You're alive! You've risen!
He's Alive!
He's Risen from the dead, he's alive!
(repeat)

Well that's it. I wish you could hear it. It was the hardest song I ever wrote, because it was so exciting, I had to stop several times and take a break or I would burst. I don't think I could sing it again, the range is so all over the place and my 52 year old voice isn't anymore. But I do hope it inspires you this Easter and brings you closer to your Risen Savior. He's really a cool dude!
Happy Easter!

1 comment:

Jack Petersen said...

Happy Easter to you, too, Birdie. You do good work.

Jack