Monday, June 16, 2008

Being "Out There"

I've told this story before, but I think it's been about a year...so I'm telling it again.

About two years ago, my girlfriend and I went to a local Christian bookstore and were browsing when a certain book caught my eye. I cannot remember the title of the book, but I remember the emphasis of the tag line. It was something about how Satan is everywhere and this book was going to help you recognize him in all those places that you frequent and never realized he was there.

I must admit, I could have rolled my eyes from the store to the next county. Yeah, yeah, yeah.

Bla, bla, bla.

I know, I know. Satan is on TV and in movies and magazines and books and in bars and restaurants. He's behind every nook and cranny. Beware! Beware!

Okay....drama queen.

But just as quickly as these feelings assaulted me, there came a nudging from God.

"He is everywhere. But so am I, and I'm much bigger."

Hmmmm.

As if a light bulb went on, I realized the immense attack on the church. Satan is out there. He's everywhere. So make sure you're safe. Stay in the church. Drench yourself in your church activities, and Bible studies, and small groups. Go on Sunday, Sunday night, and every other night if you can. Just make sure you don't have time to.....(gasp)....go out there.

Why?

Here's the dangerous genius in this. Satan knows, that if he could keep us in church and away from everyone else.....we can't influence what's happening "out there".

You may be thinking...."yeah? so?"

This was a huge epiphany for me. (okay, so maybe I'm a bit slow). But just think.....if we spent less time in the church building and activities and more time "out there"....living like Him....loving like Him.....just...being like Him; think....what's the results.

Maybe....(and I know this may sound a bit.....fantastic)....maybe...if we were "out there" more....being like Jesus...maybe we could make huge strides in helping people see Him....know Him.....meet Him....know His love.

Now, before you grab your backpack and fill it with tracts and water bottles with scripture to throw at everyone you meet....THIS IS NOT WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT.

NEWSFLASH....This is just plain annoying. People will run away when they see you coming. They'll laugh at you. In the end, you will have had less of an influence on them (as in shining God's light) and you would be more of a laughing stock. AND an annoyance!

What I'm talking about is just "being there". Living your life like...well....like Jesus actually lives inside of you. Accepting people. Loving them. Laughing with them.

So....with this. I've had an idea that I'm throwing "out there" to you and anyone you may know that may be interested in what I'm throwing at you. Got that?

Anyway....I have been, for years, wanting to start a comedy team that would go into bars, churches, parties....wherever God would open doors. It wouldn't perform "christian" stuff. It would just perform short comedy skits, much like, (sit down) Saturday Night Live or Carol Burnett (my hero). It would not be improv, because I'm not very sure I can do improv. It would perform original skits that I have written (or anyone else). They would be "safe". Thus the name of the team would be....

Squeaky Clean Comedy Relief

It would be fun, sometimes incredibly stupid, and sometimes incredibly intelligent, but the goal is.....(are you ready for this?)

To make people laugh.

(GASP!)

I'm quite serious. (I made a funny.)

So, if you are someone who is gifted in this area or interested in seeing if you are gifted in this area and being part of something like this...or have some ideas...or you are interested yourself, Please comment!

We'll be in touch and we'll talk and have coffee and brainstorm and maybe even pray. Let me know what you think.

Wanna be "out there"?

5 comments:

Jack Petersen said...

Where do I go to inlist?

JB

PRS & ALS said...

Carla,

This sounds great! I know this has been a passion of yours and God has been urging you in this direction. Who knows (well God does) what could happen.

By the way, I love how you write. It is so you.

Sam said...

I'm not funny, or even really creative, so I have nothing to add to the callout.

But I do have to say this is one of the best posts I've ever, yes, ever, read. Well written and thought out.

Birdie said...

Thanks you guys! Jack, how far are you from Columbiana County? Thanks Amy, my cheerleader! Sam, your opinion means alot, thanks. Oh BTW, you really are funny.

Sam said...

Oh, I know I'm funny. Ell tells me all the time, "You look funny." So I know. But I'm not sure I have any talent at standup or the like.
:-)